Welcome?

If you have found this blog, saying Welcome does not really seem appropriate. I know you wish you weren't surfing the internet for diabetes. I felt the same.

A big part of me wishes I were not writing about diabetes, nor did I anticipate to become so opinionated or informed on the subject, but it happened. In 2010, my son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.

It wasn't really part of the plan… Correction - it was not part of the plan, but it happened. It is not always easy, but I think we are all doing okay, and I hope we continue to do so.

Why the Middle East? I happen to live in Dubai. I don't think that living in the Middle East makes mine or my son's diabetic experience any more unique or challenging than it does elsewhere in the developed world.

I hope you stick around, or read something you like. Feel free to comment and join the conversation, subscribe or follow this blog by liking the Facebook page Diapoint.

Please note: This blog does not give medical advice. I am opinionated, and I share my experiences, but the first rule of diabetes is to follow up with your doctor and/or nurse educator about your care, diagnosis or medication. If you do not have a medical practitioner that is helping you find your way through this crazy world, then do not give up until you find the right one.

Friday, May 19, 2017

More Than Diabetes


This is the last post in Diabetes Blog Week 2018. It has certainly flown by, and I am still reading posts and will continue to read the many posts from this week.  Today's post prompt:

More Than Diabetes - Friday 5/19 Lets wrap up the week by sharing a little more about ourselves, beyond the chronic illness we or our loved ones live with.  Share an interest, hobby, passion, something that is YOU.  If you want to explore how it relates to or helps with diabetes you can.   Or let it be a part of you that is completely separate from diabetes, because there is more to life than just diabetes!  (This topic is a suggestion from the 2016 #DBlogWeek survey.)

We are all so much more than diabetes...sometimes it may not feel that way because we always have to be mindful about it.


As for my son, he plays the piano, basketball, tennis and has been experimenting with parkour lately. He is artistic and athletic at the same time. He is an avid reader who wants to grow up and be an inventor among other things.


For myself, I try to stay fit and healthy and all that good stuff, but my great escape is photography. My favorite genre is travel and documentary because well, I love to travel. I love learning about different cultures and people. And this has actually taught us a lot about our diabetes too - preparing for the unexpected, dealing with the unexpected and just figuring out how to be a bit more flexible and accepting.


In addition to travel and documentary, I also enjoy night photography. It is quite meditative. There is something about the darkness and waiting for that long shutter speed. It makes time go slower and it is much easier to really get caught up in the moment you are shooting.


If you would like to have a look, you can find my work at pameladurantphotography.comI also try to include my own images into blog posts whenever possible. I keep a blog on my photography site which I should give more love to. Before I got really serious about leaving my corporate job to focus on helping diabetics, I blogged a lot more about life and photography at another site called Life In the Middle East.


Thank you again Karen for another great Blog Week. I look forward to the next one!


If you are just discovering blog week, you can find the links for all the posts at Karen's blog, Bitter Sweet.







11 comments:

  1. your work is incredible! Thanks so much for sharing more about who you are and what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another blogger into photograpy, some beautiful photos you have chose to share. Thanks for letting us get to know you more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to read and look at them!

      Delete
  4. Staying fit is very helpful to be upbeat with diabetes. Good job

    ReplyDelete