Welcome?

If you have found this blog, saying Welcome does not really seem appropriate. I know you wish you weren't surfing the internet for diabetes. I felt the same.

A big part of me wishes I were not writing about diabetes, nor did I anticipate to become so opinionated or informed on the subject, but it happened. In 2010, my son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.

It wasn't really part of the plan… Correction - it was not part of the plan, but it happened. It is not always easy, but I think we are all doing okay, and I hope we continue to do so.

Why the Middle East? I happen to live in Dubai. I don't think that living in the Middle East makes mine or my son's diabetic experience any more unique or challenging than it does elsewhere in the developed world.

I hope you stick around, or read something you like. Feel free to comment and join the conversation, subscribe or follow this blog by liking the Facebook page Diapoint.

Please note: This blog does not give medical advice. I am opinionated, and I share my experiences, but the first rule of diabetes is to follow up with your doctor and/or nurse educator about your care, diagnosis or medication. If you do not have a medical practitioner that is helping you find your way through this crazy world, then do not give up until you find the right one.

Wednesday, March 8, 2017

International Women's Day

Over the last few years it seems that Women's Day has become bigger every year. This year with the political discussions in the West, particularly after the Women's March earlier this year in the US, Women's Day feels like it is getting more attention than ever.

And it should get attention. I don't dismiss the fact that over the years I have watched men get paid more, and women get different treatment. And in some places the world wishes that this would be the least of women's concerns.

This year in the US and in other countries the movement is asking women to take off a day of paid or unpaid labor. "A day without a women" it is called.

At Diapoint ME we are not a political organization. However, this "Day Without Women" has fostered some strong feelings as to why a day without anybody is simply not an option in the diabetic world.

No one gets a diabetic break... ever. Neither the diabetic nor a diabetic's caretakers. The job of the pancreas is 24/7. One day off and the results can be very severe, or even deadly.

Today I woke up as usual and was about to get into the shower. Just before I was about to turn on the water, I heard that famous phrase "Mommy, I feel low".

I ran into my son's room armed with the glucometer and a juice box to be ready if the glucometer confirmed what he was feeling.  And blood sugar at 57, it did.

I was still in my pre-coffee sunrise grogginess at the time to recall it was March 8th. It didn't take long because nothing will shock a parent out of bed like the sound of their child calling for help.

As his blood sugar increased and I continued to get ready, I realized what day it was. If I made the choice to strike from all labor today, who would take care of my son and his diabetes? Who would have treated his hypoglycemia? No one, that's who.

So to all you women (and men) out there who are fighting this thing for yourself or on behalf of someone else, you have a higher calling. You must keep going - whether that be to continue to work to pay for your medical bills and diabetes supplies, or if you are a housewife that is orchestrating everything behind the scenes so that your child can have a somewhat normal social life, or maybe both: You Are Valued and Important. Your contribution is priceless, and it is noticed.

You are what makes this day what it is because you do so much already. You do not have to take off a day of laboring for the world to know that you are awesome and important.

March on beautiful warriors...



4 comments:

  1. I cannot find the words to explain the emotions I have reading your post!
    Thank you for being a woman, mother, warrior, fighter, awareness raiser and a friend! Happy Woman's Day <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam, I think the ultimate point of a day without women is to prove to those who undervalue the role we play that the world CAN'T exist without women. This beautiful, normal-for-you image you paint is a perfect example of this. This world, including the one you make so beautiful for your son, needs you. Thank you for validating women everywhere with your beautiful post!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah Pam, very few people understand your role of 'never getting a break'. Here's to all the strong women in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "You Are Valued and Important. Your contribution is priceless, and it is noticed." i am so happy to hear that you yourself recognize and acknowledge YOUR amazing importance in your son's life. i certainly do.

    ReplyDelete