Welcome?

If you have found this blog, saying Welcome does not really seem appropriate. I know you wish you weren't surfing the internet for diabetes. I felt the same.

A big part of me wishes I were not writing about diabetes, nor did I anticipate to become so opinionated or informed on the subject, but it happened. In 2010, my son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.

It wasn't really part of the plan… Correction - it was not part of the plan, but it happened. It is not always easy, but I think we are all doing okay, and I hope we continue to do so.

Why the Middle East? I happen to live in Dubai. I don't think that living in the Middle East makes mine or my son's diabetic experience any more unique or challenging than it does elsewhere in the developed world.

I hope you stick around, or read something you like. Feel free to comment and join the conversation, subscribe or follow this blog by liking the Facebook page Diapoint.

Please note: This blog does not give medical advice. I am opinionated, and I share my experiences, but the first rule of diabetes is to follow up with your doctor and/or nurse educator about your care, diagnosis or medication. If you do not have a medical practitioner that is helping you find your way through this crazy world, then do not give up until you find the right one.

Tuesday, November 1, 2016

November!

The year is wrapping up so quickly. We are already into November! Today is November 1st. Wow.

November is not just important because it is the month before December and for many the last mad dash to finalize things before the year end.

It is an incredibly important month that is relevant to many people throughout the world. It is an important time to share information, be active and learn more about the issues.

This is the very important month that the world comes together to raise awareness about diabetes.

The first ever World Diabetes Month was recognized back in 2007. World Diabetes Day is November 14th. This is the day that Dr. Fredrick Banting was born. His birth is significant because he discovered insulin in 1922.

Despite the many global and local campaigns and initiatives, there are still so many misconceptions about diabetes! Too many!

At Diapoint, I am participating in several local activities this month. I will also be sharing diabetic facts and busting some diabetic myths across my social media.

I will also share a photography series with you that I have been working on called "Diabetes Every Day".  In this documentary, I will highlight the way that diabetes is always with us. Sometimes in our faces, other times in the background. Below is an image from that series.

If you want to stay up to date with my activities, daily facts, images and my other random diabetic thoughts and experiences, you can follow at any of the links on the right side of this page - Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Hope to see you there!

Have a happy, healthy November!

A routine blood sugar check before dinner. This 8 year old diabetic has to check his blood sugar by pricking his finger at least 5 times a day. It is usually more than that. He sometimes uses a CGM (Continuous Glucose Monitor) which requires fewer finger checks as it transmits the blood sugar numbers to his pump.  Not every diabetic is so fortunate. In some countries, glucose test trips are so expensive, or not available, that children cannot check their blood sugar so frequently - maybe once a day or even less.

2 comments:

  1. I think Diabetes is fairly universal. Not the treatment of course, but disease, and how it plays with the families and people who are affected.

    This item has been referred to the TUDiabetes Blog page for the week of October 31, 2016

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rick! I completely agree.. The challenges I face here are very similar to the challenges I see people facing in other developed countries in the West - US and Europe.. our kids face the same issues, adults with diabetes face the same it is absolutely universal. The challenges in developing countries are much deeper - I often recall a story of a young diabetic boy in a country in Africa. He had to make a 2 hour trip just to get insulin!

      Delete