Welcome?

If you have found this blog, saying Welcome does not really seem appropriate. I know you wish you weren't surfing the internet for diabetes. I felt the same.

A big part of me wishes I were not writing about diabetes, nor did I anticipate to become so opinionated or informed on the subject, but it happened. In 2010, my son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.

It wasn't really part of the plan… Correction - it was not part of the plan, but it happened. It is not always easy, but I think we are all doing okay, and I hope we continue to do so.

Why the Middle East? I happen to live in Dubai. I don't think that living in the Middle East makes mine or my son's diabetic experience any more unique or challenging than it does elsewhere in the developed world.

I hope you stick around, or read something you like. Feel free to comment and join the conversation, subscribe or follow this blog by liking the Facebook page Diapoint.

Please note: This blog does not give medical advice. I am opinionated, and I share my experiences, but the first rule of diabetes is to follow up with your doctor and/or nurse educator about your care, diagnosis or medication. If you do not have a medical practitioner that is helping you find your way through this crazy world, then do not give up until you find the right one.

Sunday, October 23, 2016

Love, Diabetes & Instagram

One of the things I am dedicated to doing at Diapoint is working to raise awareness about diabetes. It is something that I feel is so important, and I am so passionate about, that I left my full time corporate job to do it.

It is a complicated disease and there are several differences between the different types. There are also HUGE misconceptions about them.

As many of you probably know, November is Diabetes Awareness Month and November 14th is World Diabetes Day.

Among my many activities planned, in honor of this month, I will be sharing important diabetic facts and busting a few myths as well.

I will also share some images from a photography series I have been working on about diabetes. When I am not working on a diabetic initiative, I am a passionate travel and documentary photographer. At the advice of another photographer, I am finally putting some of those skills to use to bring light to some of the daily challenges diabetics face.

So if you are on Instagram and are not following me yet, you can find my Diapoint account here.

Hope to see you there!



No comments:

Post a Comment