Welcome?

If you have found this blog, saying Welcome does not really seem appropriate. I know you wish you weren't surfing the internet for diabetes. I felt the same.

A big part of me wishes I were not writing about diabetes, nor did I anticipate to become so opinionated or informed on the subject, but it happened. In 2010, my son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.

It wasn't really part of the plan… Correction - it was not part of the plan, but it happened. It is not always easy, but I think we are all doing okay, and I hope we continue to do so.

Why the Middle East? I happen to live in Dubai. I don't think that living in the Middle East makes mine or my son's diabetic experience any more unique or challenging than it does elsewhere in the developed world.

I hope you stick around, or read something you like. Feel free to comment and join the conversation, subscribe or follow this blog by liking the Facebook page Diapoint.

Please note: This blog does not give medical advice. I am opinionated, and I share my experiences, but the first rule of diabetes is to follow up with your doctor and/or nurse educator about your care, diagnosis or medication. If you do not have a medical practitioner that is helping you find your way through this crazy world, then do not give up until you find the right one.

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

The Other Half of Diabetes - Do Your Best!

We think a lot about the physical component of diabetes, but the mental component is just as significant. How does diabetes affect you or your loved one mentally or emotionally? How have you learned to deal with the mental aspect of the condition? Any tips, positive phrases, mantras, or ideas to share on getting out of a diabetes funk? (If you are a caregiver to a person with diabetes, write about yourself or your loved one or both!)

Diabetes is just as much a mental and emotional challenge as a physical one. Even when diabetes is well managed, our brains and emotions are working overtime to keep it all in check. 

I believe my son handles this pretty well. He was quite small when he was diagnosed, so he does not know life without diabetes - both a blessing and a curse. 

He has just started to experience diabetes in a social context and how some (just a few) children can be cruel. Obviously that is not good for anyone, and it is heartbreaking as a parent. However, those instances are few and far between, and if it wasn't diabetes, it could easily be another subject.

As a caretaker, I feel the mental challenges too. I do not know which one of us is more challenged because we are each having a completely different experience. But as a caretaker, it can be exhausting - physically, socially, psychologically and mentally draining. 

I never really thought about it before, but I think I am selective with my internal battles now. I try to remember I have a choice of how far I want to let a comment bother me or situation upset me. Maybe it is a "unique" defense mechanism called denial, but let's face it, we cannot be everywhere at once, and that includes emotionally as well.

I believe sleep is critical to doing this. Something a caretaker does not always get a lot of. So I will try to bank a lot of sleep one night a week and get to bed super early. Then my tank is full for a few days. I often run on fumes, but it is what it is. And I would not want to miss out on anything in life - especially the good stuff.

I don't really have any mantras, but I am a fan of the Boy Scout motto, which is "Do Your Best". That is something I remind my son in challenging circumstances. If we are doing our best, then we know we are giving more than 100% on most days.


10 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing " do your best" Its all any of us can do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't call it denial - I'd say it was Picking your battles to win the war, which is important for anyone in the diabetes space. There are some things my hubby arcs up about and I have to tell him to calm himself...as you say, its too exhausting to let everything bother and upset you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As an adult with diabetes, there is no doubt in my mind that parents have it much harder than I do. It sounds as though you are doing a good job with priorities (Sleep!) and keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doing our best is all any of us can do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really admire all the d-parents. And I appreciate by sharing, you give me a peak at my parent's world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really admire d-parents. I was diagnosed as a young adult, and it took a conversation with my Mum a few months ago to fully appreciate how much she still worries at my age. Thanks for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Parents are brilliant. My young cousin was recently diagnosed and it is the strangest feeling not being the one experiencing it. It's scary! I can't feel her lows.
    I can't feel her highs
    What do you do?! I much rather having it myself because then I KNOW what's going on.

    Your strategies are great and I hope they help. Do your best is a wonderful message.

    Thanks for all you and other d-parents do, and for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all. I am glad you liked it and thank you for your support.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sleep is so important, thanks for mentioning it. I think it gets overlooked in these conversations.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Rachel, I believe sleep is like the foundation for building everything else.. I was a mess in the beginning of all this when I was not sleeping!

    ReplyDelete