Welcome?

If you have found this blog, saying Welcome does not really seem appropriate. I know you wish you weren't surfing the internet for diabetes. I felt the same.

A big part of me wishes I were not writing about diabetes, nor did I anticipate to become so opinionated or informed on the subject, but it happened. In 2010, my son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.

It wasn't really part of the plan… Correction - it was not part of the plan, but it happened. It is not always easy, but I think we are all doing okay, and I hope we continue to do so.

Why the Middle East? I happen to live in Dubai. I don't think that living in the Middle East makes mine or my son's diabetic experience any more unique or challenging than it does elsewhere in the developed world.

I hope you stick around, or read something you like. Feel free to comment and join the conversation, subscribe or follow this blog by liking the Facebook page Diapoint.

Please note: This blog does not give medical advice. I am opinionated, and I share my experiences, but the first rule of diabetes is to follow up with your doctor and/or nurse educator about your care, diagnosis or medication. If you do not have a medical practitioner that is helping you find your way through this crazy world, then do not give up until you find the right one.

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Message Monday - Diabetic Blog Week Post 1!

Hello and welcome to Diabetic Blog Week! This great initiative kicks off in less than one hour in this part of the world.

Before I get into today's topic, you might be wondering, What is Diabetic Blog Week? Started by Karen Graffeo at the blog Bitter Sweet, 7 years ago, this annual event brings the Diabetic Online Community (DOC) together by sharing ideas about the same topic every day for one week.

Even if you do not blog, I suggest reading and following. In the last few years that I have participated, I always meet many open-minded people of different walks of life all dealing with Type 1 in various ways. Sharing our experiences always leaves me feeling a little less alone, and a little more knowledgable than I was a week before.

The first topic of the week is Message Monday. Why are we here? Why am I here? What is my most important diabetes message? Why is that message important, and what am I trying to accomplish by sharing it on my blog?

There are so many messages and lessons to be shared from diabetes and as a caretaker of a Type 1. But what is my fundamental reason for being here? To share my experience with others. Before my son was diagnosed with Type 1, I worked in healthcare management for many years. The gaps in care and patient experience bothered me - they still do.

Meaning that while I did not know much about diabetes at diagnosis, I at least had some idea of where to go, or where to look for more information. I was overwhelmed... and for a long time. Had I nor my husband not been in healthcare, I do not want to think about how much more overwhelmed I would have felt.

My purpose and message are pretty straight forward. I am here to help and advocate. I am here to help those in the medical profession understand what we deal with when we leave their offices. I am here to build a community in my part of the world. I am here to empower people with information.

While my purpose and focus may slightly change from day to day, my reason for being in the diabetic context is clear. I am here to (hopefully) make a difference.

For more information about Diabetic Blog Week, visit this link.

9 comments:

  1. I really like how you've taken another approach to advocacy, where you consider educating those in the medical profession. Sometimes it's easy to forget that we as patients/parents of patients hold expertise in our personal condition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Bec - I advocate everywhere, from every angle, but I hope speaking to physicians, nurses and others about diabetes outside the clinic and what diabetics really deal with will give them some insight to their approach in patient care... its more than just the A1C :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pam, I think you have a great perspective on advocacy. I encounter many HCPs who don't live in the real world when it comes to managing diabetes outside of the clinic. Look forward to reading your posts this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Frank. I advocate everywhere I can, but some of the best physicians I have had, and for my son to, they have worked with us instead of just giving medical orders. They are taught to be clinical, and I think sometimes with everything else they have to think about some can forget the person piece :)

      Delete
  4. Such an important and needed message. Thanks for all you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen! Still much more to be done, but small steps will go somewhere!

      Delete
  5. People like you can make all the difference to how we as patients are treated. Sometimes we need to remind ourselves to educate rather than get angry at our HCPs for not knowing. THanks for reminding me of this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashleigh.. That is not to say that I was not angry when a nurse educator called my at the time 7 year old son a baby for being a little afraid of his annual blood draw.. Let's just say I think my look was enough and I don't think she will quite phrase it like that again! :)

      Delete
  6. Nice message, glad you're here to advice and help.

    ReplyDelete