Welcome?

If you have found this blog, saying Welcome does not really seem appropriate. I know you wish you weren't surfing the internet for diabetes. I felt the same.

A big part of me wishes I were not writing about diabetes, nor did I anticipate to become so opinionated or informed on the subject, but it happened. In 2010, my son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.

It wasn't really part of the plan… Correction - it was not part of the plan, but it happened. It is not always easy, but I think we are all doing okay, and I hope we continue to do so.

Why the Middle East? I happen to live in Dubai. I don't think that living in the Middle East makes mine or my son's diabetic experience any more unique or challenging than it does elsewhere in the developed world.

I hope you stick around, or read something you like. Feel free to comment and join the conversation, subscribe or follow this blog by liking the Facebook page Diapoint.

Please note: This blog does not give medical advice. I am opinionated, and I share my experiences, but the first rule of diabetes is to follow up with your doctor and/or nurse educator about your care, diagnosis or medication. If you do not have a medical practitioner that is helping you find your way through this crazy world, then do not give up until you find the right one.

Friday, February 26, 2016

The Sleestak


When I was a child, I was a big fan of the show Land of the Lost. It is the story of Rick and his children, Will and Holly, who fall into a land of dinosaurs in some other dimension. The story focuses on their efforts to try to return to their "normal" world. As they try to find their way home they have to avoid getting eaten by dinosaurs and fight off other things, including the Sleestak.

The Sleestak were lizard-like people that were the source of a lot of childhood nightmares. They were very mysterious, and something about them freaked me out. Compared to what children can access today they are almost comical, but back in the 1970s they were creepy.

Some time last year my son and I were talking about fears and what scared us at night. I shared my childhood fear of the Sleestak with him. We found a picture on the internet and when he saw it, he cracked up, "Seriously Mommy?" he said through his laughter. Yes, seriously.

Fast forward to today and we have a trial Dexcom CGM for one week. Dexcom is all the rage in Type 1 management in the US, and I can understand why. It does help with diabetes management and the ability to catch lows and highs before they happen, thus managing blood sugars within target range is easier.

While the educator was taking me through the presentation about the details of Dexcom, my son started to draw on a flip chart. He drew his version of a Sleestak. Complete with an insulin pump!

His art blows me away at many levels. One, because he is a way better artist at 8 years old than I ever could be, and two, it is always interesting to see his imagination on paper.

I thought about this image over the next few days. I am not sure what made him draw a Sleestak. I was not afraid of the Dexcom as I knew the benefits, and we've been managing diabetes for a while now so I am more comfortable with it. He is not afraid of the Sleestak. He finds them funny, or my childhood fear of them funny.

So for now, I am taking it as a sign. A sign that what used to be so big and scary, is now not so scary. And sometimes, we can even find the humor in it.

Diabetes was frightening in the beginning. There was a lot of mystery and unknowns around the disease. Now that we know what we are dealing with, and how far we have come there is less to fear.

We may never make it back to our normal life. Rick, Will and Holly never did. All we can do is try to find a new normal and live with the Sleestak. And who knows, we may become less afraid as we learn how to manage them - and perhaps even arm them with the latest diabetes technology in the process.

1 comment:

  1. Love it..😊
    But still we hope from our hearts to be more lucky than Will and Holly and have our lives back to normal.

    ReplyDelete