Welcome?

If you have found this blog, saying Welcome does not really seem appropriate. I know you wish you weren't surfing the internet for diabetes. I felt the same.

A big part of me wishes I were not writing about diabetes, nor did I anticipate to become so opinionated or informed on the subject, but it happened. In 2010, my son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.

It wasn't really part of the plan… Correction - it was not part of the plan, but it happened. It is not always easy, but I think we are all doing okay, and I hope we continue to do so.

Why the Middle East? I happen to live in Dubai. I don't think that living in the Middle East makes mine or my son's diabetic experience any more unique or challenging than it does elsewhere in the developed world.

I hope you stick around, or read something you like. Feel free to comment and join the conversation, subscribe or follow this blog by liking the Facebook page Diapoint.

Please note: This blog does not give medical advice. I am opinionated, and I share my experiences, but the first rule of diabetes is to follow up with your doctor and/or nurse educator about your care, diagnosis or medication. If you do not have a medical practitioner that is helping you find your way through this crazy world, then do not give up until you find the right one.

Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Keep The Power Ball

In the US, there is a Power Ball Lottery that has been a lot of the rage in the news and social media for a few days now.  If you hold the winning ticket, you are entitled to a jackpot of $1.5 billion USD. - Yes, BILLION.

This morning as I savored the David Bowie tributes in my latest Facebook feed, someone posted a picture of a power ball ticket in one of the diabetic groups I follow. The caption read: I know 100% of the peeps in this group would trade the winnings for 1 thing.

So far over 200 people have liked it, and the comments just keep coming. I have never heard so many Facebook notifications come so fast.

This comment was not about getting likes or improving social data. This is the truth. If someone came to me and said here is 1.5 billion, or we can free your son of the burden of Type 1, there would be no contemplation.

I had a similar discussion with a good friend over dinner the other night. We were together when we learned that David Bowie died. A legend was lost. Both of us are fans so we went to dinner at a place that announced they would be playing Bowie that night. While listening to his music, we had a discussion about how life is so short and often unfair.

With all the fortune he made from his amazing talents, and all the access he probably had to the best care in the world; not enough money and resources could cure him of the disease that took him away from his family and doing what he loved.

We are always so busy managing diabetes that I do not really have time to think of a cure in this context. But this morning, that comment struck a chord and left me with no doubt.

Anyone with a chronic illness really just wants one thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment