Welcome?

If you have found this blog, saying Welcome does not really seem appropriate. I know you wish you weren't surfing the internet for diabetes. I felt the same.

A big part of me wishes I were not writing about diabetes, nor did I anticipate to become so opinionated or informed on the subject, but it happened. In 2010, my son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.

It wasn't really part of the plan… Correction - it was not part of the plan, but it happened. It is not always easy, but I think we are all doing okay, and I hope we continue to do so.

Why the Middle East? I happen to live in Dubai. I don't think that living in the Middle East makes mine or my son's diabetic experience any more unique or challenging than it does elsewhere in the developed world.

I hope you stick around, or read something you like. Feel free to comment and join the conversation, subscribe or follow this blog by liking the Facebook page Diapoint.

Please note: This blog does not give medical advice. I am opinionated, and I share my experiences, but the first rule of diabetes is to follow up with your doctor and/or nurse educator about your care, diagnosis or medication. If you do not have a medical practitioner that is helping you find your way through this crazy world, then do not give up until you find the right one.

Saturday, January 2, 2016

Happy New Year

The close of 2015 was full of surprises. Some good. Some not so good.

We were at home as usual to enjoy the Burj Khalifa fireworks from our balcony with our neighbors. As the world knows, before midnight, a fire broke out at one of the landmark hotels in the area. It is now out, and we were relieved to learn that night that everyone was evacuated with only a few injuries.

One friend called it surreal. It was a difficult year for many, and closing the year out with a large fire followed by "the show must go on" celebrations was pretty surreal.

Diabetes is also like that. Even if you have a strong family history or genetic predisposition, it is always an unwelcome surprise. Managing it day to day also comes with its fair share of surprises. Sometimes more than we would care to deal with!

Even the small ones can make our diabetic world a little crazy. Most recently, my son accidentally set his pump language setting to Danish. Of course this happened as I was running late to go somewhere. Thank goodness for Google and online dictionaries!

As crazy as it is, and as tired as we are sometimes, we must prevail. And we do. The show must go on.

I'm not a big resolution person, but this year I am dedicating myself more to the diabetic community and helping diabetics in this region. It has started in small steps, but the time has come for bigger steps.

I am sure it will lend itself to many surprises, but I hope only good ones.

I wish you all a happy and healthy 2016 as you push forward to continue and don't let the surprises stop you.



No comments:

Post a Comment