Welcome?

If you have found this blog, saying Welcome does not really seem appropriate. I know you wish you weren't surfing the internet for diabetes. I felt the same.

A big part of me wishes I were not writing about diabetes, nor did I anticipate to become so opinionated or informed on the subject, but it happened. In 2010, my son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.

It wasn't really part of the plan… Correction - it was not part of the plan, but it happened. It is not always easy, but I think we are all doing okay, and I hope we continue to do so.

Why the Middle East? I happen to live in Dubai. I don't think that living in the Middle East makes mine or my son's diabetic experience any more unique or challenging than it does elsewhere in the developed world.

I hope you stick around, or read something you like. Feel free to comment and join the conversation, subscribe or follow this blog by liking the Facebook page Diapoint.

Please note: This blog does not give medical advice. I am opinionated, and I share my experiences, but the first rule of diabetes is to follow up with your doctor and/or nurse educator about your care, diagnosis or medication. If you do not have a medical practitioner that is helping you find your way through this crazy world, then do not give up until you find the right one.

Friday, January 15, 2016

Angels on Earth

I thought this post was going to be about the void we felt when our favorite school nurse that cared for my son above and beyond the call of duty left to go work in another school. She is so good that we could be justified in following her to that school.

While my son and I were not big fans of the school, I also tell myself we have to be realistic. The other nurses that work there are very caring and well qualified, and ironically, her replacement worked at the nursery where my son went before, but her absence is felt.

In the first or second week into this change, there were a few bumps. Nothing too major, but one day a blood sugar read above 450 and one of the nurses told my son it was okay to eat his snack. She called me a few hours later because she couldn't understand why his blood sugar did not really go below 400 after eating.  (For those asking why it was 400+ in the first place? Insertion site issue and there must have been no insulin delivery at breakfast).

I was not too pleased because this occurred just the day after my son defied another nurse's directives and lost the chance to go to his PE class as I wrote in this earlier blog post. And once again he tried to manipulate the situation because he wanted to eat with his friends. He was successful because the nurse caved to his emotional request. I know I shouldn't compare, but no way would the nurse that left do that. Not eating at such a high blood sugar is a basic concept in diabetes management.

When I was able to cool down and think more clearly after our phone call, I immediately proposed a meeting with all of the nurses (we are fortunate there are three) to hold a session to review his protocol for school. They welcomed the opportunity, and it also gave the new nurse a chance to review the protocol with me there. Despite what happens in his day to day care, I never forget that this is always a team effort and that is my recommended approach to these circumstances. It was a good meeting and we were able to discuss how to handle certain situations, and even do some planning about where we want him to be in his diabetes management in the future.

However, this post is not about that.  I know, you read this far and you are wondering why?  Stay with me...

The son of the nurse that changed schools is in my son's class and they are in Boy Scouts together. He is often the buddy that goes with my son for his blood sugar checks.

At yesterday's Boy Scout meeting, his father who is a great leader to the boys, informed me they knew the whole story. Much to my surprise, their son gives his mom regular updates on my son's health. She checks in with me from time to time to see how he is, but I never want her to worry. As much as I wanted to call her crying, begging her to come back when the above incident happened, I did not disclose the whole story because I wanted to wait until I saw her to tell her the whole thing.

Her son understands more about diabetes than I would have ever expected, and I am incredibly touched that he is also looking out for his classmate and friend. I am so deeply touched by the way this family is looking out for my son even when they are not there.

One night before bed we were talking about fears and I told him about guardian angels. We are so fortunate he has a few here on earth as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment