Welcome?

If you have found this blog, saying Welcome does not really seem appropriate. I know you wish you weren't surfing the internet for diabetes. I felt the same.

A big part of me wishes I were not writing about diabetes, nor did I anticipate to become so opinionated or informed on the subject, but it happened. In 2010, my son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.

It wasn't really part of the plan… Correction - it was not part of the plan, but it happened. It is not always easy, but I think we are all doing okay, and I hope we continue to do so.

Why the Middle East? I happen to live in Dubai. I don't think that living in the Middle East makes mine or my son's diabetic experience any more unique or challenging than it does elsewhere in the developed world.

I hope you stick around, or read something you like. Feel free to comment and join the conversation, subscribe or follow this blog by liking the Facebook page Diapoint.

Please note: This blog does not give medical advice. I am opinionated, and I share my experiences, but the first rule of diabetes is to follow up with your doctor and/or nurse educator about your care, diagnosis or medication. If you do not have a medical practitioner that is helping you find your way through this crazy world, then do not give up until you find the right one.

Saturday, November 14, 2015

Emergency Preparedness...

Today is World Diabetes Day. Why November 14th?

It is the day that Frederick Banting who, along with Charles Best and John James Rickard Macleod discovered insulin in 1922. If he were alive today, I would personally seek him out and hug him... Really.

I had a few other subjects in mind for this day, but considering the events that happened in Beirut and Paris yesterday I thought it might be a good time to highlight emergency preparedness for diabetics.

I grew up slightly risk adverse. My father was a risk manager. In my healthcare career I have also worked on risk management programs for hospitals. I am a firm believer in pro-activeness.

While not everything is in our control, we can try to be prepared for the unthinkable. For my diabetic son, I do not take that subject lightly.

I have emergency boxes in every classroom at his school, and his nurses have a plan too. I have small bags of glucose tabs and a few other non perishables within his reach in my car. Those are not full emergency kits as he does not leave the house without a bag that includes additional insulin, glucogen, syringes, juice, water, batteries for his insulin pump, and snacks.

At home, I have an even larger backpack with juice, water, non perishable food, glucogen, flashlights, a small first aid kit, batteries, additional insulin pump supplies and more.

It is horrible to think about the unthinkable. I too wish it would stop. However, emergencies are not only manmade. We should also consider natural disasters. Whenever I read about any emergency, the first thing that comes to my mind are those with chronic diseases - especially Type 1 Diabetics.

On a day that should be about the unity of the blue circle that represents the world coming together to address diabetes, we are unified by grief due to acts of violence. Our condolences to those who have lost loved ones in this tragedy.


Our Diabetic Emergency Bag. It sits behind the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment