Welcome?

If you have found this blog, saying Welcome does not really seem appropriate. I know you wish you weren't surfing the internet for diabetes. I felt the same.

A big part of me wishes I were not writing about diabetes, nor did I anticipate to become so opinionated or informed on the subject, but it happened. In 2010, my son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.

It wasn't really part of the plan… Correction - it was not part of the plan, but it happened. It is not always easy, but I think we are all doing okay, and I hope we continue to do so.

Why the Middle East? I happen to live in Dubai. I don't think that living in the Middle East makes mine or my son's diabetic experience any more unique or challenging than it does elsewhere in the developed world.

I hope you stick around, or read something you like. Feel free to comment and join the conversation, subscribe or follow this blog by liking the Facebook page Diapoint.

Please note: This blog does not give medical advice. I am opinionated, and I share my experiences, but the first rule of diabetes is to follow up with your doctor and/or nurse educator about your care, diagnosis or medication. If you do not have a medical practitioner that is helping you find your way through this crazy world, then do not give up until you find the right one.

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Summer Reflections


Summer is almost finished. And despite all those off routine things that happen to a diabetic, I am still not too excited at the routine that is awaiting us just around the corner. It will be fine, but getting back into routine and all the diabetic prep required for school requires one big breath.

We had a fantastic summer.. My son had a fantastic summer, and while we saw a couple of epic lows, diabetes did not stop him from enjoying travel, hiking, going to the beach, being with his friends and just being a kid.

I think two of the coolest things that happened this summer is that my son met two other diabetics - a young woman at a camp he went to and a five year old boy we came across while traveling.

He did not verbalize it, but I could tell that just having someone at the day camp in this context to relate to and share his pump and carb stuff with that "gets it" was a cool thing for him.

The boy we met at a cafe while having lunch on vacation France. He had been riding his bike with his dad and brother and when they sat down, they checked his blood sugar. My husband noticed that unmistakable tube sticking out of the boy's clothes.

While I didn't expect them to become best friends or pen pals, I thought it was too cool an opportunity to pass up.  I was like that alien in that diabetic meme "He's one of us!" So as we were leaving, we walked over to say hello and introduce ourselves.

I am not sure, but a small part of me felt that the boy's dad maybe thought I was nuts (which could be true). Or maybe it is just an American thing to not be so indiscreet about diabetes and introduce ourselves. I am not sure if people with other medical devices walk by and high five each other. Maybe they do.

Although surprised, the father was receptive and told us his son was diagnosed two years ago. What he said next was key. "But it is fine. We are okay and everything is normal." We exchanged a few more words and then went on our way.

Reinforcement is nice, and it is good to see diabetic children doing normal kid stuff. And, more importantly, it is good for diabetic children to meet others like them.

No comments:

Post a Comment