Welcome?

If you have found this blog, saying Welcome does not really seem appropriate. I know you wish you weren't surfing the internet for diabetes. I felt the same.

A big part of me wishes I were not writing about diabetes, nor did I anticipate to become so opinionated or informed on the subject, but it happened. In 2010, my son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.

It wasn't really part of the plan… Correction - it was not part of the plan, but it happened. It is not always easy, but I think we are all doing okay, and I hope we continue to do so.

Why the Middle East? I happen to live in Dubai. I don't think that living in the Middle East makes mine or my son's diabetic experience any more unique or challenging than it does elsewhere in the developed world.

I hope you stick around, or read something you like. Feel free to comment and join the conversation, subscribe or follow this blog by liking the Facebook page Diapoint.

Please note: This blog does not give medical advice. I am opinionated, and I share my experiences, but the first rule of diabetes is to follow up with your doctor and/or nurse educator about your care, diagnosis or medication. If you do not have a medical practitioner that is helping you find your way through this crazy world, then do not give up until you find the right one.

Friday, May 15, 2015

Foods on Friday!

I'm a little behind on Diabetes Blog Week due to a hectic week at work, so let me jump to today's topic - food.  Most people love food, and Type 1 does not necessarily mean we avoid certain foods.

Our secret - we do not feed our Type 1 child any different than if he were not diabetic. Why is that? Well, we cover carbs with insulin, but we try to eat healthy. Sure we are moderate and not rigid in this, but we promote healthy choices whenever possible and avoid processed foods or fads that are oversold as healthy.

Of course there were challenges when my son was diagnosed at 20 months old. Getting enough carbs in a toddler when they are being picky can be tough. We survived those years, and were still able to promote healthy eating. If he didn't get enough carbs, fortunately, we were able to top him up with a little apple sauce or something else.

Now that he is seven, we are still promoting healthy eating and he gets it most of the time. If he wants the one off treat or "unhealthy" choice, then so be it. He will have to learn to eventually navigate his food choices and manage his blood sugar as a result, so I rather we learn that while he is young so he has an idea as he gets older and manages it.

A typical school day might consist of:

Breakfast - nothing with refined sugars. That will only make his blood sugar spike like crazy. I have no proof, but I swear those cereals geared toward children are evil - even the organic kids cereals are full of sugar! So something moderate like Cheerios or CornFlakes, toast, homemade pancakes, and eggs are included in that sometimes. It just depends on our mood.

Snacks: (which we do twice a day) can be many things, but usually focus on a fruit and/or vegetable, yogurt, cheese or whatever else sounds good. We like to cook and bake, so while we do buy bars and things like this, we often have our homemade versions of cookies or banana bread on hand.

Lunch: Used to be hot like chicken and rice, but because the school only gives 20 minutes for lunch, I have started to pack healthy sandwiches or wraps. My son is already loosing social time going to the health office to get his finger checked.

Dinner: We usually grill some kind of protein and then have a carb like pasta or rice and a vegetable. For pastas, we use various kinds of flours - everything from spelt to vegetable.

So it isn't that revealing or exciting. No myths busted, or secret recipes. Diabetes is so complex to take care of, and food is a large part of that. For us, following our usual principals of healthy eating is still our best practice to deal with it.


4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing your story. I can't imagine what you and your son go through. Agree completely - diabetes shouldn't restrict his food choices, just need to be more informed and know how to react to them insulin wise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'We do not feed our diabetic child any different than if he were not diabetic.' I'm pretty sure the same is true for us. But having never really fed a non-diabetic child, I do occasionally wonder. Thanks for sharing your choices and thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point Pam! I've not really fed a non-diabetic child either :) However, his friends he plays with everyday aren't diabetic, and their mom is into everything in moderation and eating healthy like me, so I think the statement is mostly true.. The only false point is that I have not shared my Halloween time candy corn addiction with him.. so ya, mostly true!

    ReplyDelete