Welcome?

If you have found this blog, saying Welcome does not really seem appropriate. I know you wish you weren't surfing the internet for diabetes. I felt the same.

A big part of me wishes I were not writing about diabetes, nor did I anticipate to become so opinionated or informed on the subject, but it happened. In 2010, my son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.

It wasn't really part of the plan… Correction - it was not part of the plan, but it happened. It is not always easy, but I think we are all doing okay, and I hope we continue to do so.

Why the Middle East? I happen to live in Dubai. I don't think that living in the Middle East makes mine or my son's diabetic experience any more unique or challenging than it does elsewhere in the developed world.

I hope you stick around, or read something you like. Feel free to comment and join the conversation, subscribe or follow this blog by liking the Facebook page Diapoint.

Please note: This blog does not give medical advice. I am opinionated, and I share my experiences, but the first rule of diabetes is to follow up with your doctor and/or nurse educator about your care, diagnosis or medication. If you do not have a medical practitioner that is helping you find your way through this crazy world, then do not give up until you find the right one.

Saturday, May 16, 2015

Favorites & Motivations

Today's topic in Diabetes Blog Week is Favorites & Motivations. I'm not sure my posts are of the motivating kind. My son is pretty darn motivating. He motivates me every day by how he deals with diabetes.

My posts are more about sharing, and wanting to make a difference. If anything resonates with anyone out there in a similar situation, then I am happy it helped.

Favorites. Now that is a loaded word.

I have two. Depending on your mood - if you want a good laugh, go with There Will Be QuestionsIf you want something a little more serious, and wish to read about the day my attitude change toward diabetes, then go to Perspective.

Perspective was the first post I ever wrote here. I wrote it some time before I started this blog. Even editing it several years later was quite an emotional task. Telling the story takes me back to that place. How unfair life is. How we are so lucky. That was the day I decided to look diabetes in the eyes. It was still quite early on in our diagnosis, which was good, but it was the day that changed my attitude. It did not make my learning curve any easier, but it often reminded me to suck it up.

There Will Be Questions are some of my "favorite" questions and reactions I have had about my sons diabetes. It was inspired by a parent that questioned if our lovely old cat caught her diabetes from my son. I kid you not. I can't really elaborate much more about it, because even though it was almost one year ago, I am still a little amused and speechless.

As for the cat, she is on insulin. One shot a day. I feel it could be better managed, but the vet keeps telling me "in cats it is different". I am still not so sure, but even though Type 2, what a great educational tool.


1 comment:

  1. You're right, life is unfair. But, we did win the lottery..diabetes is SO much more manageable than other things. We should be thankful. : )

    ReplyDelete