Welcome?

If you have found this blog, saying Welcome does not really seem appropriate. I know you wish you weren't surfing the internet for diabetes. I felt the same.

A big part of me wishes I were not writing about diabetes, nor did I anticipate to become so opinionated or informed on the subject, but it happened. In 2010, my son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.

It wasn't really part of the plan… Correction - it was not part of the plan, but it happened. It is not always easy, but I think we are all doing okay, and I hope we continue to do so.

Why the Middle East? I happen to live in Dubai. I don't think that living in the Middle East makes mine or my son's diabetic experience any more unique or challenging than it does elsewhere in the developed world.

I hope you stick around, or read something you like. Feel free to comment and join the conversation, subscribe or follow this blog by liking the Facebook page Diapoint.

Please note: This blog does not give medical advice. I am opinionated, and I share my experiences, but the first rule of diabetes is to follow up with your doctor and/or nurse educator about your care, diagnosis or medication. If you do not have a medical practitioner that is helping you find your way through this crazy world, then do not give up until you find the right one.

Monday, May 18, 2015

Continuing Connections...

Diabetes Blog Week came to a close yesterday.  I could not participate in every topic, but I did read entries everyday. I am amazed at the talented writers, and amount of experience out there in the DOC.

So while I could not post last night - I want to close out this topic for sure, because this is what it is all about.  Connecting - the "very first inspiration for DBW... and that is the most important reason it is held every year".

So a special THANK YOU to Karen Graffeo at Bitter-Sweet for organizing this every year. What a great way to get people connected at an even deeper level. Who says technology is not personable and lacks that warm fuzzy feeling? Ha!

There are hundreds of great entries to read and learn from.  I will continue to read after this week for sure. A few highlights for me this time were:

Yoga for Diabetes. Once upon a time I had a great yoga practice. It really did make a difference with how I dealt with life and remembering to breath. I often say that diabetes is a zen disease that keeps one in the present. Yoga for Diabetes was a good reminder that I should also find my zen in other more "conventional" ways. Rachel Zinman is very open and honest in her writing - and also has some beautiful images in her blog too.

I love Sarah's blog Coffee & Insulin for many reasons. Her posts are funny, she writes beautifully and she combines her love of travel into her blog. Which just makes so much sense! I am a caretaker of diabetes, but I always see the roles of traveler-photographer and diabetic caretaker separate. What her writing and blog illustrated to me was that these are not separate things. Diabetes is part of our life. Like it or not, it is there everywhere we go.

This was my second year to participate in Blog Week, and I am sorry to see it go. While my work week was incredibly long, my time with the DOC passed quickly. Fortunately we can log on and find each other at any time of day. I look forward to a continued connection with and learning from you all.

And having said that I must go. My son just said those three magic words to me "I feel low".


No comments:

Post a Comment