Welcome?

If you have found this blog, saying Welcome does not really seem appropriate. I know you wish you weren't surfing the internet for diabetes. I felt the same.

A big part of me wishes I were not writing about diabetes, nor did I anticipate to become so opinionated or informed on the subject, but it happened. In 2010, my son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.

It wasn't really part of the plan… Correction - it was not part of the plan, but it happened. It is not always easy, but I think we are all doing okay, and I hope we continue to do so.

Why the Middle East? I happen to live in Dubai. I don't think that living in the Middle East makes mine or my son's diabetic experience any more unique or challenging than it does elsewhere in the developed world.

I hope you stick around, or read something you like. Feel free to comment and join the conversation, subscribe or follow this blog by liking the Facebook page Diapoint.

Please note: This blog does not give medical advice. I am opinionated, and I share my experiences, but the first rule of diabetes is to follow up with your doctor and/or nurse educator about your care, diagnosis or medication. If you do not have a medical practitioner that is helping you find your way through this crazy world, then do not give up until you find the right one.

Saturday, April 4, 2015

What the Zip Line Reminded Me About Diabetes

Zip lining through Sentosa Island, Singapore

With my son two weeks off from school for Spring Break, we decided to head East to Singapore. My husband and I have both been before, and although it has changed and improved exponentially, we just focussed on some of the major family highlights and spending some much needed quality time together.

During this trip, we went back to Sentosa Island as it had much more to offer than the first time around - including a zip line. This included a nice walk through the manmade bridges and paths to the start. 

We arrived, strapped up and signed our life away before ascending several stories up a tower. I’m no expert in distance, but it was high. As we overlooked the jungle as they were clipping us onto the lines, my son confided in me that he was a little scared.  I told him I was too. I was a bit surprised because he takes after his father in these adrenaline things. 

I then looked over at my husband, veteran New Zealand Canyon Swinger and Sky Diver, like I must be nuts. I was about to hurl myself into the jungles of Sentosa, son first.

Before we knew it, we were released and flying down the line. It was exhilarating, but I held on for dear life. My son, immediately howled with excitement and let go with his arms wide open embracing everything that life had to offer at that moment.

They company that manages the zip line took this picture of us. Although you cannot see our faces, I thought this was quite analogous for how we often manage diabetes in small children. They are really unaware of your fear as you hold on for dear life. 

The diabetic child is often oblivious to the risks they face, but yet we hang on behind them as we encourage them to take on the world knowing no different. They ride shot gun as we are in "control" into the uncertain and unknown.

I don’t know when they realize both the real and implied risks that go along with this condition. For us, we introduce things in an age appropriate context as they come. We can only hope that he has healthy relationship with whatever he faces on this crazy ride. Sometimes it may require a fair amount of trust and throwing all caution to the wind to enjoy the ride.


No comments:

Post a Comment