Welcome?

If you have found this blog, saying Welcome does not really seem appropriate. I know you wish you weren't surfing the internet for diabetes. I felt the same.

A big part of me wishes I were not writing about diabetes, nor did I anticipate to become so opinionated or informed on the subject, but it happened. In 2010, my son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.

It wasn't really part of the plan… Correction - it was not part of the plan, but it happened. It is not always easy, but I think we are all doing okay, and I hope we continue to do so.

Why the Middle East? I happen to live in Dubai. I don't think that living in the Middle East makes mine or my son's diabetic experience any more unique or challenging than it does elsewhere in the developed world.

I hope you stick around, or read something you like. Feel free to comment and join the conversation, subscribe or follow this blog by liking the Facebook page Diapoint.

Please note: This blog does not give medical advice. I am opinionated, and I share my experiences, but the first rule of diabetes is to follow up with your doctor and/or nurse educator about your care, diagnosis or medication. If you do not have a medical practitioner that is helping you find your way through this crazy world, then do not give up until you find the right one.

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Living Fearlessly


Kayaking in the Abu Dhabi Mangroves


Diabetic or not, we should live fearlessly.

A good friend tells me this is the year to conquer all fear. I have yet to determine which fear I will meet in the ring this year, but I am pretty sure I am in training for something.

This weekend I conquered my fear of waterproof pump packs. I ordered a couple with the last order of supplies just to test them. It seems like a lot of liability for a company to make that claim - a waterproof pump pack.

We went kayaking in the Abu Dhabi Mangroves. As the kayaks are stable, I thought, what better time to try out a waterproof pack. In addition to an insulin pump, I decided to bring my camera and phone as well - not even in a special cover.

I mentally prepared myself for the worst case scenario - if we were to capsize - so I could depart with my camera and phone. And, if the waterproof pack did not work for the pump, I mentally prepared to go through the logistics of managing my son with injections and getting a new pump as soon as possible.

The pack was easy to open and close, and my almost 7-year old could do it. After switching out our pump pack and getting our life jackets and ores, off we went.

Our tour was uneventful in terms of testing waterproof pump packs, but full of nature and beauty. We are told it is here where 75% of all marine life in the UAE begins.

While not a huge step, it is a good excuse to share a picture of nature that looks like nothing to do with a desert.

I am sure we will be more adventurous with waterproofing ourselves again in the future.

Kayaking in the Abu Dhabi Mangroves





No comments:

Post a Comment