Welcome?

If you have found this blog, saying Welcome does not really seem appropriate. I know you wish you weren't surfing the internet for diabetes. I felt the same.

A big part of me wishes I were not writing about diabetes, nor did I anticipate to become so opinionated or informed on the subject, but it happened. In 2010, my son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.

It wasn't really part of the plan… Correction - it was not part of the plan, but it happened. It is not always easy, but I think we are all doing okay, and I hope we continue to do so.

Why the Middle East? I happen to live in Dubai. I don't think that living in the Middle East makes mine or my son's diabetic experience any more unique or challenging than it does elsewhere in the developed world.

I hope you stick around, or read something you like. Feel free to comment and join the conversation, subscribe or follow this blog by liking the Facebook page Diapoint.

Please note: This blog does not give medical advice. I am opinionated, and I share my experiences, but the first rule of diabetes is to follow up with your doctor and/or nurse educator about your care, diagnosis or medication. If you do not have a medical practitioner that is helping you find your way through this crazy world, then do not give up until you find the right one.

Monday, December 29, 2014

The Holidays




Its a busy time of year with many celebrations as we get ready for the new year.  People often worry or ask about how to manage what their Type 1 child eats during holidays and celebrations.  Or, if we go to dinner at a friend's, I am often asked what they can make for my son for dinner.  The answer is nothing special.

He is usually too excited at a gathering to eat much anyway, but it wouldn't matter.  As long as I can correctly cover his carbs with insulin we are good.  That does not mean that those cooking need to figure out the carbs for their dishes of course, but it means I need to pay attention to what he eats and learn from previous experiences about carb counting and in some cases increasing hourly basal rates.

What I find the most challenging, is that I always get up a couple of times during the night to check his blood sugar to make sure I bolused correctly.  Sometimes I do not see the effects of dinner until long after he is asleep.

The reasons for this are many - the type of carb, excitement, activity that day, in some cases hormones - it just depends.

Perhaps it is also a comfort level as well.  I would rather him not sleep with high blood sugar the whole night.  While administering insulin at night is tricky, once you understand how to control these things with your doctor's or diabetes team's recommendations it will all make more sense for you as every child is different.

I often see people seeking advice in online groups asking if "anyone is awake".  Despite the time differences across the world, there will likely be a parent of a diabetic child awake in your time zone at any given time - celebration or not.  It is just part of the job of being a pancreas 24-7.  Is it easy?

Lack of sleep is a difficult thing sometimes, but you are not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment