Welcome?

If you have found this blog, saying Welcome does not really seem appropriate. I know you wish you weren't surfing the internet for diabetes. I felt the same.

A big part of me wishes I were not writing about diabetes, nor did I anticipate to become so opinionated or informed on the subject, but it happened. In 2010, my son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.

It wasn't really part of the plan… Correction - it was not part of the plan, but it happened. It is not always easy, but I think we are all doing okay, and I hope we continue to do so.

Why the Middle East? I happen to live in Dubai. I don't think that living in the Middle East makes mine or my son's diabetic experience any more unique or challenging than it does elsewhere in the developed world.

I hope you stick around, or read something you like. Feel free to comment and join the conversation, subscribe or follow this blog by liking the Facebook page Diapoint.

Please note: This blog does not give medical advice. I am opinionated, and I share my experiences, but the first rule of diabetes is to follow up with your doctor and/or nurse educator about your care, diagnosis or medication. If you do not have a medical practitioner that is helping you find your way through this crazy world, then do not give up until you find the right one.

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

The Highs and Lows of Diabetes



We are pretty optimistic people, and optimistic when it comes to diabetes and its place in my son's life. We consider it extremely important and something that must be managed always, but it is not something that should stop him from doing anything.

On most days we do not think twice about that.  However, there are some days where you can feel on top of the world and go to a low that is more about mental state than blood sugar all in the same day.  I read about caretakers of Type 1 experiencing it often as well, and I am no different.

One morning my son is defeating rock walls, and in the same evening he is terrified at the thought of having to put a needle in his stomach to lodge the cannula for his insulin pump insertion site into his body.  I don't blame him.  It is a pretty long needle, but we must rotate the locations to keep the tissue where he prefers to put it (in his backside) healthy.

I have given myself an injection in the stomach before.  It did not hurt, but that needle was way smaller so I am not sure I can empathize.  Nor do I try to tell him it is no big deal.  It is a big deal.

I have no easy answer for this.  It is inevitable, and at some point or another every Type 1 child will deal with one challenge or another as they learn to live with this disease.  It is exceptionally hard to find the words to mend his broken heart as he realizes all too young that life is not fair. It is one of the few times he ever really verbalizes he wishes he was not diabetic.  He wishes it so much through his tears that you can feel it with every ounce of his being.

Once it is done, he is not upset for long.  It is difficult to remind him how brave he is and that someday this will be easier for him because we are only hopeful that it will be. I hug him, but he quickly wants to get back to life as normal.

He seems okay and is his happy, carefree self again.  We play or read and laugh.  At some point much later, I realize I need to take a breathe.

Fortunately, he wakes up the next day ready to take on the world again and see his friends.  I hope he always feels this way, and that the times when we feel low are very few and far between.

No comments:

Post a Comment