Welcome?

If you have found this blog, saying Welcome does not really seem appropriate. I know you wish you weren't surfing the internet for diabetes. I felt the same.

A big part of me wishes I were not writing about diabetes, nor did I anticipate to become so opinionated or informed on the subject, but it happened. In 2010, my son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.

It wasn't really part of the plan… Correction - it was not part of the plan, but it happened. It is not always easy, but I think we are all doing okay, and I hope we continue to do so.

Why the Middle East? I happen to live in Dubai. I don't think that living in the Middle East makes mine or my son's diabetic experience any more unique or challenging than it does elsewhere in the developed world.

I hope you stick around, or read something you like. Feel free to comment and join the conversation, subscribe or follow this blog by liking the Facebook page Diapoint.

Please note: This blog does not give medical advice. I am opinionated, and I share my experiences, but the first rule of diabetes is to follow up with your doctor and/or nurse educator about your care, diagnosis or medication. If you do not have a medical practitioner that is helping you find your way through this crazy world, then do not give up until you find the right one.

Friday, December 12, 2014

Hey! Can You Eat That?

Yes, you can.

I just responded to a tweet I came across today. Someone posted a picture of a chocolate bar with a label for proceeds donated to the JDRF on it. The statement was "CANDY BARS being sold for fundraising for juvenile diabetes ?? JDRF a bit ironic, no?"

While I am all about healthy eating, my response was the same I tell everyone. This is what my son's endocrinologist taught me and what he has published. It is also the same advice that other Type 1s hear from their endocrinologist.

It is important to match insulin to the carbs you eat. The Type 1 pancreas does not work. No amount of healthy eating will help that pancreas produce insulin. We try eat the same as if we were not Type 1, and those habits are part of a healthy lifestyle and everything in moderation.

Are we living off of chocolate bars?  Of course not. But if my active, healthy Type 1 son wants to enjoy some birthday cake with his friends at a party, am I going to let him eat it? You bet I am.  I am going to let him be a kid and give him more insulin to cover it in the best way I know how.

JDRF does a lot of good work and supports research for a cure for Type 1. For those of us reading this across the miles, if JDRF finds a cure, we all win. If they get donations from chocolate sales to support those miracles, so be it.

As we wind down the year, in whatever format you enjoy this time of year, be happy, healthy, and enjoy your chocolate as you cover the carbs!




No comments:

Post a Comment