Welcome?

If you have found this blog, saying Welcome does not really seem appropriate. I know you wish you weren't surfing the internet for diabetes. I felt the same.

A big part of me wishes I were not writing about diabetes, nor did I anticipate to become so opinionated or informed on the subject, but it happened. In 2010, my son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.

It wasn't really part of the plan… Correction - it was not part of the plan, but it happened. It is not always easy, but I think we are all doing okay, and I hope we continue to do so.

Why the Middle East? I happen to live in Dubai. I don't think that living in the Middle East makes mine or my son's diabetic experience any more unique or challenging than it does elsewhere in the developed world.

I hope you stick around, or read something you like. Feel free to comment and join the conversation, subscribe or follow this blog by liking the Facebook page Diapoint.

Please note: This blog does not give medical advice. I am opinionated, and I share my experiences, but the first rule of diabetes is to follow up with your doctor and/or nurse educator about your care, diagnosis or medication. If you do not have a medical practitioner that is helping you find your way through this crazy world, then do not give up until you find the right one.

Monday, November 10, 2014

Walk 2014

Blue for Diabetes Awareness Month - Walking with my T1D son

Last weekend our family participated in a Diabetes Walk in Abu Dhabi.  It received a lot of publicity, so when my son heard about it on the radio, he was eager to go.

At this age, I am never quite sure what the message at these events might be, and how that will register with a young child.  I want him to understand his disease is serious if not managed well, but yet not something that would ever keep him from achieving anything. We are very matter of fact with him about life, but yet we do not want him to worry unnecessarily either.

The day before the walk I started prepping my son in case there was a heavy focus on Type 2.  I did not want him to misunderstand his disease, nor did I want him to feel left out, if that makes sense.

When I explained that Type 2 was a big problem for the UAE and the region, of course he asked why.  I stated the obvious - not enough people are exercising and they have an unhealthy lifestyle.  There are unfortunately a large number of fast food chains that have opened here in the last few years, and this acquired taste for that food is not helping.

He thought for a few minutes.  Then, as he always does, he found the answer.  "Yes mommy.  They should eat more slow foods!"

In the end, I did not need to worry as the walk did not really focus on Type 2 as I expected.  It was very well organized, but more about 21,000 plus people heading out to the F1 race track to have a nice 3K walk to promote general fitness.  While I do wish there was a little more focus on diabetes, the organization achieved their goal in creating a "fun" way to draw attention to the need to exercise and stay fit.

And as an added bonus, I get to teach my sun about sustainable, local farming and fresh food!

No comments:

Post a Comment