Welcome?

If you have found this blog, saying Welcome does not really seem appropriate. I know you wish you weren't surfing the internet for diabetes. I felt the same.

A big part of me wishes I were not writing about diabetes, nor did I anticipate to become so opinionated or informed on the subject, but it happened. In 2010, my son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.

It wasn't really part of the plan… Correction - it was not part of the plan, but it happened. It is not always easy, but I think we are all doing okay, and I hope we continue to do so.

Why the Middle East? I happen to live in Dubai. I don't think that living in the Middle East makes mine or my son's diabetic experience any more unique or challenging than it does elsewhere in the developed world.

I hope you stick around, or read something you like. Feel free to comment and join the conversation, subscribe or follow this blog by liking the Facebook page Diapoint.

Please note: This blog does not give medical advice. I am opinionated, and I share my experiences, but the first rule of diabetes is to follow up with your doctor and/or nurse educator about your care, diagnosis or medication. If you do not have a medical practitioner that is helping you find your way through this crazy world, then do not give up until you find the right one.

Saturday, August 23, 2014

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge & Diabetes

There is a lot of discussion about the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge right now. Within the Diabetic community many are asking the question how we can raise that kind of attention and money for the JDRF foundation.

I agree with the diabetic blog, A Sweet Life, on this one.  It is too soon.  The ALS challenge is still high profile, and maybe ALS needs it more than us right now. Sure, I would love to see a cure for diabetes, but I am very happy to see ALS get this attention and growth that it probably needs.

The ice bucket challenge grew organically.  If the diabetic community did something similar, the message would be diluted with all the focus on ALS and other communities trying to draw awareness to their cause.  I also think the natural viral activity of the ALS challenge is one of the things that is so appealing about it.

So what should we do to draw more awareness to diabetes?  I do not have the answer or any suggestions right now.  I personally will keep doing what I have been doing to share information and educate anyone who asks.

On the subject of media attention and diabetes, last week I retweeted coverage of Matthew McConaughey wearing a fanny pack to a baseball game.  When a reporter asked him about it, Matthew says,
"I'm not afraid of the Fanny Pack.  You gotta kind of put it to the side to make it look a little not as nerdy, but still, practicality wins out.  I got so much gear in here that I don't want it in my pockets".

Obviously, he mentions nothing of diabetes, but he sums up the pump pack for me.  Do not be afraid of it. Most importantly - it is practical.

Many celebrity sites and news agencies called it unfashionable.  I tagged him and thanked him for making diabetes a little cooler.  No response as of yet. None needed. I just hope he ignores the media and continues to strive for practicality.


No comments:

Post a Comment