Welcome?

If you have found this blog, saying Welcome does not really seem appropriate. I know you wish you weren't surfing the internet for diabetes. I felt the same.

A big part of me wishes I were not writing about diabetes, nor did I anticipate to become so opinionated or informed on the subject, but it happened. In 2010, my son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.

It wasn't really part of the plan… Correction - it was not part of the plan, but it happened. It is not always easy, but I think we are all doing okay, and I hope we continue to do so.

Why the Middle East? I happen to live in Dubai. I don't think that living in the Middle East makes mine or my son's diabetic experience any more unique or challenging than it does elsewhere in the developed world.

I hope you stick around, or read something you like. Feel free to comment and join the conversation, subscribe or follow this blog by liking the Facebook page Diapoint.

Please note: This blog does not give medical advice. I am opinionated, and I share my experiences, but the first rule of diabetes is to follow up with your doctor and/or nurse educator about your care, diagnosis or medication. If you do not have a medical practitioner that is helping you find your way through this crazy world, then do not give up until you find the right one.

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Diabetes & Travel

I have gone kind of quiet the last few weeks.  It has been busy, and with summer travel and the ramp up and down to manage work to get away, and then the catch up upon coming back are always insane.  It does not help that I seem to have the flu now our first week back from two wonderful weeks of travel.

I say wonderful because we went to two great places, and the previous two times we travelled we dealt with very bad DKA. One of those put us in the hospital in the summer of 2013, the other earlier this year put us out for a few days where we could have easily gone to a reputable hospital had there been one nearby... thankfully he was still drinking fluid, but more to come on those experiences later.

For about two months now I have been wanting to write a post about how to prepare for travel.  Many people ask this question, and I am always looking to understand how to do it better, or reflect on what I could have done better myself, so it is important to share and discuss it with other diabetics and other diabetics and caretakers.

Once my head no longer feels like it is about to explode, my throat no longer swollen, fever gone and I do not feel so manic at night as a result of this flu, I will write about this, and many more subjects on my mind.

In the meantime, I just hope I do not share this flu with my son.. his numbers have been pretty good and he is happy and healthy, so I'd like to ride out the rest of the summer healthy before school starts and everyone comes back to school with their colds and flu!

Stay well and happy summer travels!


No comments:

Post a Comment