Welcome?

If you have found this blog, saying Welcome does not really seem appropriate. I know you wish you weren't surfing the internet for diabetes. I felt the same.

A big part of me wishes I were not writing about diabetes, nor did I anticipate to become so opinionated or informed on the subject, but it happened. In 2010, my son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.

It wasn't really part of the plan… Correction - it was not part of the plan, but it happened. It is not always easy, but I think we are all doing okay, and I hope we continue to do so.

Why the Middle East? I happen to live in Dubai. I don't think that living in the Middle East makes mine or my son's diabetic experience any more unique or challenging than it does elsewhere in the developed world.

I hope you stick around, or read something you like. Feel free to comment and join the conversation, subscribe or follow this blog by liking the Facebook page Diapoint.

Please note: This blog does not give medical advice. I am opinionated, and I share my experiences, but the first rule of diabetes is to follow up with your doctor and/or nurse educator about your care, diagnosis or medication. If you do not have a medical practitioner that is helping you find your way through this crazy world, then do not give up until you find the right one.

Saturday, June 14, 2014

Surfing the Diabetic Wave

We got our quarterly hemoglobin A1c check up last week.  Another 7.2% for the third time in a row.  Our endocrinologist praises us and says we should be excited.  I am glad it is not higher, but yet, I still want better. We achieved a 6.8 once, so I know we can do better.

I am not some crazy perfectionist mom, but I am fighting a silent disease that if not well managed can effect my son's health as he gets older.  His eyes, feet, heart, or other organs.  As his primary caretaker, I am responsible to do that for him.

According to an article on Medscape about children not meeting the A1c targets, The ADA, (American Diabetes Association) recommends hemoglobin A1c targets of less than 8.5% for children under age 6, less than 8.0% for those age 6-12 years old, and less than 7.5% for those age 13 and up.  The International Society for Pediatric and Adolescent Diabetes (ISPAD) recommends a target of 7.5% or less for children of all ages (M. Tucker)

I will continue to strive for less than the ISAPD target, and less than 7%.  Normal hemoglobin in a non-diabetic person is between the range of 4-6%.  Doctors will tell you to be careful with managing it too tightly in a Type 1. A result closer to 6% could mean too many low blood sugar readings, or hypoglycemia which robs the body of the sugar it needs.  There is probably a very fine line between well managed blood sugar and over managing that in a Type 1.

While our endocrinologist thinks I am awesome, our pediatrician often lectures me on the importance of getting to 6%.  I do know the importance.  There may be parents that don't, but its frustrating when you know.  I think he is a good pediatrician, so I let him do his doctor thing.  I always strive to do it better, but the lecture of what I already know doesn't help.

You will probably find that many doctors have differing opinions about A1c.  Even international standards seem to not agree.  This goes back to one of my mantras of arming yourself with as much information as possible and making the best decisions with the doctor that you consider your primary diabetic source.  In this case, it is our pediatric endocrinologist.

So while I am told I should hold my head high at 7.2%, I am kind of defeated by my own goal.  I often compare diabetes to surfing.  There are A1c waves, and sometimes I surf quick, large monstrous blood sugar waves too. After last week's reading I am now paddling out to sea again to catch the big wave, ride it smoothly for as long as I can and hopefully not have a bad wipe out.

A windsurfing image seemed appropriate because with any luck, maybe the wind will carry me a bit too.




For more information about hemoglobin A1c, start here.

You can follow here, or also follow this blog on Facebook at Diabetic in the Middle East.

No comments:

Post a Comment