Welcome?

If you have found this blog, saying Welcome does not really seem appropriate. I know you wish you weren't surfing the internet for diabetes. I felt the same.

A big part of me wishes I were not writing about diabetes, nor did I anticipate to become so opinionated or informed on the subject, but it happened. In 2010, my son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.

It wasn't really part of the plan… Correction - it was not part of the plan, but it happened. It is not always easy, but I think we are all doing okay, and I hope we continue to do so.

Why the Middle East? I happen to live in Dubai. I don't think that living in the Middle East makes mine or my son's diabetic experience any more unique or challenging than it does elsewhere in the developed world.

I hope you stick around, or read something you like. Feel free to comment and join the conversation, subscribe or follow this blog by liking the Facebook page Diapoint.

Please note: This blog does not give medical advice. I am opinionated, and I share my experiences, but the first rule of diabetes is to follow up with your doctor and/or nurse educator about your care, diagnosis or medication. If you do not have a medical practitioner that is helping you find your way through this crazy world, then do not give up until you find the right one.

Saturday, May 17, 2014

What Does Diabetes Look Like?

I am still not sure I have the answer to this question.

When I started this blog, and it's Facebook page with the same name (that I am still developing), I knew I needed an image for it.  As a photographer, I was completely stumped.  Give me any other subject, and I will have something in my stock that is relevant or I can come up an image.

Diabetes, left me empty and uninspired.  The people, and especially the children, who deal with it inspire me beyond words, but artistically, it just wasn't doing anything for me. 

I went to Google Images for inspiration.  There is nothing there but images of feet gone bad.  One of the many reasons why it is important to manage your diabetes.  Scary to the point of motivating, but far from inspirational.

I went to my Type 1 son who is an artistic child that loves to sketch and paint.  I asked him what diabetes looks like.  Could he draw a picture of diabetes?  He too thought for several seconds.  "I don't know", he replied.  Not a bad thing I thought - diabetes just is.

Since then, weeks have passed and still nothing.  

Participating in Diabetes Blog Week has started the creative writing juices again, and I created the picture in the previous entry about our diabetic notebook.  But that is only one aspect of diabetes.  It does give some insight into one of the many small, nagging things we do on a daily basis, but it is not the whole picture.

So, what does diabetes look like?  It looks like this.  This is my son, happily scooting along at the last day of our spring break vacation last month.  He is healthy and happy.  He is full of life and everything good in the world.  The only prominent sign of anything diabetic on him is his insulin pump.  

This is diabetes.  This is inspiration.




5 comments:

  1. Very nice Pam..simple words.. reflecting how a disease can be an inspiration for something creative....keep going and I wish your little angle a great health and may god grant him the cure :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely perfect photo! Looks like diabetes doesn't hold him back and that means you're doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, this sums up life with diabetes perfectly. It is always with us, but it doesn't stop us!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant photo. Each diabetic is what diabetes looks like, and we are all different. Diabetes does not hold us back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for all your kind comments - And exactly what you all say - there is no stopping him :-)

    ReplyDelete