Welcome?

If you have found this blog, saying Welcome does not really seem appropriate. I know you wish you weren't surfing the internet for diabetes. I felt the same.

A big part of me wishes I were not writing about diabetes, nor did I anticipate to become so opinionated or informed on the subject, but it happened. In 2010, my son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.

It wasn't really part of the plan… Correction - it was not part of the plan, but it happened. It is not always easy, but I think we are all doing okay, and I hope we continue to do so.

Why the Middle East? I happen to live in Dubai. I don't think that living in the Middle East makes mine or my son's diabetic experience any more unique or challenging than it does elsewhere in the developed world.

I hope you stick around, or read something you like. Feel free to comment and join the conversation, subscribe or follow this blog by liking the Facebook page Diapoint.

Please note: This blog does not give medical advice. I am opinionated, and I share my experiences, but the first rule of diabetes is to follow up with your doctor and/or nurse educator about your care, diagnosis or medication. If you do not have a medical practitioner that is helping you find your way through this crazy world, then do not give up until you find the right one.

Saturday, May 17, 2014

The Notebook

Catching up on Diabetic Blog Week entries.  Yesterday's topic - Diabetic Life Hacks.

Our diabetic notebook

Our biggest "hack" - which isn't really a hack, or a way to beat any system.  Pen and paper.

We use a notebook to communicate with the school health office.  Of course I stop by every morning and every pick up to discuss where Erin is on the blood sugar scale and anything that they should be aware of. Communication is key to managing any disease.

Despite our discussions, we write everything needed in a notebook.  There are three people that work in the health office and while all are extremely dedicated to caring for the children, there is no way you could ever speak with all three at one time.  What is in the notebook?

  • Morning blood sugar and bolus so everyone can be aware of how much insulin was given.  
  • An itemized list of food in snacks and lunch, and how many carbs are in each item.  This way if everything is not eaten, a nurse can make a good estimate on the bolus.
  • We also share other information, or the nurses use it to remind me if they need more supplies, or there is an upcoming change in the school schedule.  Like that one day where they have early snack that always gives us a little glitch.
I feel fortunate to be in Dubai where we can do this.  I am not sure how open the legal environment of other places would be for this.  Even if I were in a different environment, I would still try to introduce it.

It's a really helpful way to have a quick go to for a brief history of the day without having to open the disease management program in the computer.  And while it may seem a bit manual with so much information in the pump, nurses are taught to write things down and so I think this comes naturally to them.

Our health office likes it so much, they have recommended the notebook system for a newly diagnosed Type 1. For smaller children, you can even make it a fun thing to go pick out what kind of notebook they want to use for their diabetic record at school.  Although I haven't tried it yet, as time goes on, it might just become a good educational tool as my son learns to read and take more control over their disease.

2 comments:

  1. There is just something about pen and paper. No matter how many fancy phone apps or the ability to upload my info from my meter to the computer, it just doesn't replace paper. I feel so much more organized with a notebook. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do also - I just bought a new mouse pad/organizer for my desk yesterday… Things seem to stick better in my head if I write them out too! Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete