Welcome?

If you have found this blog, saying Welcome does not really seem appropriate. I know you wish you weren't surfing the internet for diabetes. I felt the same.

A big part of me wishes I were not writing about diabetes, nor did I anticipate to become so opinionated or informed on the subject, but it happened. In 2010, my son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.

It wasn't really part of the plan… Correction - it was not part of the plan, but it happened. It is not always easy, but I think we are all doing okay, and I hope we continue to do so.

Why the Middle East? I happen to live in Dubai. I don't think that living in the Middle East makes mine or my son's diabetic experience any more unique or challenging than it does elsewhere in the developed world.

I hope you stick around, or read something you like. Feel free to comment and join the conversation, subscribe or follow this blog by liking the Facebook page Diapoint.

Please note: This blog does not give medical advice. I am opinionated, and I share my experiences, but the first rule of diabetes is to follow up with your doctor and/or nurse educator about your care, diagnosis or medication. If you do not have a medical practitioner that is helping you find your way through this crazy world, then do not give up until you find the right one.

Saturday, May 31, 2014

The Global Burden of Diabetes & Rat Heads

Source: The National 29 May 2014

Diabetes has been in the news for the last several days in the UAE.  The results from the Gates Foundation, 2013 Global Burden of Disease Study are out and it is not pretty.  According to an article in The National over 66% of men and 60% of women in the UAE are overweight or obese.  This is huge.

Locals have had one of the highest rates of diabetes in the world for some time now, and are genetically prone to the disease.  Other studies do not single out the UAE, but the entire Gulf region.  Countries such as Qatar, Kuwait and Saudi also have very high incidences of diabetes.  Most of these studies focus on Type 2 as a result of lifestyle.  Something can be done.  We are Type 1, not so lucky, but we can manage.  We manage.

Regardless of Type 1 or 2, there is a lot to be said for healthy eating and exercise.  There is no better cure, or weight management methodology.  For parents out there with children that have the potential to be Type 2, I promise that you do not want this disease in your life.

It is not fair for a child to have to prick themselves many times a day to check their blood sugar and deal with injections, or pump insertion site changes among the many other things.  And if not managed correctly, the potential complications are too awful to consider.

Please brainwash your children early about the benefits of a healthy lifestyle with exercise and balanced eating. Everything in moderation.

I am not perfect, and I cave to the occasional cupcake or back of chips.  We're only human, but we can't be that "human" every day.  I strive to eat healthy and exercise.  I try to make my son even more aware as I know it is in his best interest.

Last week as we drove past one of the most popular names in fast food he said to me, "You know what?  Their chicken nuggets are mdae from rat heads."

I always tell him that place is unhealthy, and I cringe when it shows up at a birthday party.  Outside of our ice cream addition, we do not eat there.  However, I never mentioned rat heads.  Apparently, someone's brother saw it on YouTube, so of course it must be true.

I am always honest, but I didn't debate this one.  I just let that one go and admitted that I was uninformed about the rat heads.  If he believes that fast food is made from rat heads, then so be it.

Action must be taken now.  The world is late to act on this subject.  Cigarettes are heavily taxed or plastered with ugly images of black lungs in some countries.  Perhaps we should consider to do the same with fast food - tax it heavily and find some rat head stickers.

No comments:

Post a Comment