Welcome?

If you have found this blog, saying Welcome does not really seem appropriate. I know you wish you weren't surfing the internet for diabetes. I felt the same.

A big part of me wishes I were not writing about diabetes, nor did I anticipate to become so opinionated or informed on the subject, but it happened. In 2010, my son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.

It wasn't really part of the plan… Correction - it was not part of the plan, but it happened. It is not always easy, but I think we are all doing okay, and I hope we continue to do so.

Why the Middle East? I happen to live in Dubai. I don't think that living in the Middle East makes mine or my son's diabetic experience any more unique or challenging than it does elsewhere in the developed world.

I hope you stick around, or read something you like. Feel free to comment and join the conversation, subscribe or follow this blog by liking the Facebook page Diapoint.

Please note: This blog does not give medical advice. I am opinionated, and I share my experiences, but the first rule of diabetes is to follow up with your doctor and/or nurse educator about your care, diagnosis or medication. If you do not have a medical practitioner that is helping you find your way through this crazy world, then do not give up until you find the right one.

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Why a Diabetic Blog?

There are soooo many diabetic resources and forums on the internet, so why a blog?  Why this blog?

I did not know much about Type 1 when my son was first diagnosed, so I immediately went to learn more on the internet.  What I found was astounding.

There are many great sites like JDRF, and they also have forums where diabetics and parents of diabetics can ask questions and share experiences.  There are many supportive, knowledgable parents there to give advice.

I read those boards for a few days, and then I had to stop.  If you are in the early days of diagnosis, or even in the first year, it can feel like information overload.

I also found myself becoming angry as I read the forums.  Angry that every day I would see at least two or three more parents coming to the forum with a newly diagnosed child.  Like me, they were scared and sad.  However, I was also upset to learn there were many other children in the world that would have to endure this disease. Seeing it on a forum where a few hundred or so sought out advice could only mean this number was multiplied several times over.

I did not want a cure.  I wanted a solution.  I wanted prevention, and I wanted eradication. Sure, if my son was cured I would be happy beyond words, but after a few days reviewing the forum, what I really wanted was to never again read the phrase my child has just been diagnosed with Type 1.

I still visit those forums sometimes, but through this blog, I will share my experiences and thoughts.  They are my thoughts, in one place.  On a forum, I feel I have to be objective as space is short and discussion is technical.  Here, I can be more honest.

Case in point: the fact that I have slept a whole 2.5 hours last night after a relaxing family spring break holiday to manage my son's ridiculously high blood sugar due to problems with pump insertion sites is not something I would share on a forum.  If I had a technical question about it, I might seek out advice there, but I'm not going to go there and start a Damn you Diabetes or a Diabetes Sucks thread.  I would rather share that here "privately".

So why a blog?  Just like exercise and yoga, writing is therapeutic for me and I enjoy it.  I keep another blog full of photography and non diabetic observations.  It feels good and right to do that, but as I experience the world as the caretaker of a diabetic child, I have developed a lot of opinions and observations on the subject.  While the prevalence of diabetes is spreading and effects many, it is still a targeted audience.  And, if my thoughts or rants help someone that might be experiencing the same thing, then that is an added bonus.

Maybe as you read some of these posts, you'll laugh - or cry.  Or maybe you will be offended because you disagree… and that is ok.  It is just my story.  But regardless of what you believe about diabetes, I doubt you are alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment