Welcome?

If you have found this blog, saying Welcome does not really seem appropriate. I know you wish you weren't surfing the internet for diabetes. I felt the same.

A big part of me wishes I were not writing about diabetes, nor did I anticipate to become so opinionated or informed on the subject, but it happened. In 2010, my son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.

It wasn't really part of the plan… Correction - it was not part of the plan, but it happened. It is not always easy, but I think we are all doing okay, and I hope we continue to do so.

Why the Middle East? I happen to live in Dubai. I don't think that living in the Middle East makes mine or my son's diabetic experience any more unique or challenging than it does elsewhere in the developed world.

I hope you stick around, or read something you like. Feel free to comment and join the conversation, subscribe or follow this blog by liking the Facebook page Diapoint.

Please note: This blog does not give medical advice. I am opinionated, and I share my experiences, but the first rule of diabetes is to follow up with your doctor and/or nurse educator about your care, diagnosis or medication. If you do not have a medical practitioner that is helping you find your way through this crazy world, then do not give up until you find the right one.

Saturday, April 26, 2014

And How is He Handling It?

And so the obvious question, "How is my son handling it all?"

I am often amazed at how well he handles it.  However, he does not know anything else.  He was diagnosed at 20-months old, so he does not have the challenge that many children do of remembering what life was like before diabetes.

Yes, he does have his moments with it, and he has started to realize that life is unfair and sometimes asks the question why him.  This is typically when we are about to change an insertion site which requires a jab with a pretty big needle (about one inch long) to place a canulla under his skin to deliver insulin from an insulin pump.

We usually put the insertion in his bum, but sometimes the tissue has to rest and we need to put the site in his abdomen.  This is not easy.  I don't tell him to get over it, or dismiss it.  I let him be angry with it when he needs to. I can't blame him, I would also be terrified to take this needle in the abdomen.

I am the one who changes his insertion site every two to three days, and he will later have to do it himself.  I sometimes wonder about the long term effects that this will have on our relationship.  He understands he needs it to keep him healthy, but I am the person that convinces him to comply, and I am the one that inserts the needle.  Fortunately, he is okay with changing the insertion site on most days.

Checking his blood sugar is a regular thing that we do at least six times a day.  Sometimes he is impatient with it if he feels he might miss out on something, but pricking his finger is not an issue.  Since the third day of his diagnosis five years ago when he was hospitalized for DKA he has not complained.

The nurse came in to check his blood sugar the morning we were going to be discharged.  When she asked for his finger, my sweet, 20-month old boy took a deep breath, extended his arm and pointed his finger out.  The memory of how a boy who was not yet two years old found such courage is still very vivid.  From that day forward he has never once flinched when we check his finger.

Diabetes is not only about checking your blood sugar regularly, but this is a big part of it.  My biggest hope is that since he has been so accepting and has done this well so far, he will continue to take on the lifetime of challenges he will face with this disease head on.


No comments:

Post a Comment